How to Choose a Resume Writing Service
- SEO Expert
- Posted on
Having an attention-grabbing resume is one of the most important parts of the job search. Your resume and cover letter are your introduction to a potential employer; and without a strong introduction, you may never get another chance to make a good impression. As a result, the success of your job hunt can hang on how well your resume is written.
Maybe you are entering the work force after Top resume writing services graduating from college. Or maybe you just need to find a new job. Regardless of why you are looking for work, a skilled resume writer has the power to help you get your foot in the door.
Why Should I Use a Resume Writer?
Resume writing services are more than just a word processing or proofreading service. A resume writer takes your work experience, education, your strengths and weakness, and ties it all up into one little package. Although people usually think of their resume as a simplistic listing of their education and experience, it is actually more like a sales document. In order for your resume to effectively sell you, it not only has to be well written and visually appealing, but also has to present the goods – you – in the best possible light.
Sound easy? Of course not. Why is it, then, that so many people attempt to write their resumes on their own? You wouldn’t try to write a legal contract when the outcome could impact the rest of your life – you would hire a lawyer. By the same token, you should entrust your resume to a professional resume writer.
What Does a Resume Writer Do?
A resume writer’s goal is to convince potential employers that you are perfect for the job. In order to sell your strengths, a resume writer will:
- Discuss your career focus and gear your resume to your unique goals
- Choose the best format to highlight your strengths
- Write an attention-getting summary or list of objectives
- Use convincing language to maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses
- Personalize your resume in a way that shows you off to your best advantage
- Make your resume available in different file formats if needed
- Make changes as necessary
Of course, a resume doesn’t really stand by itself. Your career decisions, where and how you search for jobs, and the quality of your cover letter all impact how your resume is received. In other words, if you are looking for work in the wrong places, or don’t introduce your resume properly in the cover letter, it won’t matter how dazzling your resume is.
Resume writing services often offer a whole package approach to resume writing. To ensure that you land your dream job, your resume writer may offer additional services, such as:
- Career consultation
- Job search consultation
- Cover letter writing
- Resume distribution
- Interview preparation
What Should I Look for in a Resume Writing Service?
A good resume writing service is one that offers you everything necessary to get the attention of potential employers. When shopping for a resume writer, you should look for:
- Convincing literature on their services – Whether you are browsing a website or looking at an informational pamphlet, pay close attention to how convincing the literature is. If they can’t sell themselves, they likely won’t be able to do a good job of selling you.
- A good reputation – Don’t forget to Google! If a resume writing service is worth its salt, you should be able to find good reports from happy customers. Even more importantly, if they aren’t any good you are almost certain to find complaints.
- Experience – Your career is in your resume writer’s hands, so make sure you choose someone with experience. If your career is in a specialized field, you might even want to look for a resume writer who specializes in the field – a writing service that knows the industry will also know what its employers look for in a resume.
- Education – Submitting a resume with errors is embarrassing enough, but when you’ve paid to have it done right it’s downright tragic. Make sure your resume writer is educated and/or certified, so that you can be sure you’re getting your money’s worth.
- Personal attention – You don’t want someone who is going to simply plug your information into a resume writing program – you could do that yourself. In order for your resume to stand out, it needs a unique touch that can only be achieved if your resume writer has taken the time to discuss it with you.